Friday, July 30, 2010

Jordan

So this last week I went to Jordan. It was very fun and educational.We went a lot of places, but I want to tell you about my two favorites; Petra and Jerash.

Petra was really awesome. It’s recently been named one of the new 7 wonders of the world. The Nabateans had cut into this stone that reminds me a little bit of St. George. Because we had gotten up extremely early it was kind of dark in the canyon for the first little bit and that was really beautiful, and it was nice to be cool. We saw the treasury, probably the most famous motif and that was really amazing. I just can’t imagine how they carved that out of the mountain. They must have had patience or something. Seriously that’s what amazes me more than anything else.

I went on this longer hike, which was a little more miserable because now it was getting hot, to this monastery. Oh my goodness it was so sweet! I couldn’t stop staring at it. The carvings were just incredible. I also saw the ‘end of the earth.’ Then I kind of wandered off by myself and just sat there looking at the rock, at this beautiful place God had created.



Another place I went to in Jordan was Jerash. It’s one of the best preserved Roman cities in the world! These ruins gave me a great idea of what it would’ve been like back then. The temple, the theater, the plaza, the cardo, the gates, the dried up fountains, everything was in such great condition and it really helped me picture it.

After a while we went to the hippodrome to get a peek back in time. It started with Roman soldiers showing us what techniques and formations they would’ve used back then. This was actually very fascinating. When I saw all of the formations I thought, hmmm that makes sense, but I never would’ve thought that up! Then some men came out and fought. During these battles right before someone was about to die they paused the game and we gave a thumbs up or thumbs down deciding their fate. It was pretty sweet. We killed most of them. There was this one time when they used a tomato or something and red stuff splattered everywhere. It was super gross. I can’t believe people used to watch that for entertainment. That’s so disgusting to me.

Next the chariots came out and did a chariot race. This part was AWESOME! They were going so fast around those corners I was sure they would fall out, but they didn’t. Also the horses were absolutely gorgeous. Benjy would’ve loved them. Afterwards we were taking pictures with the soldiers and such and Karissa said we should see if we could get a chariot ride. Of course me being me I said, ‘no, it’s okay. I don’t think they’re allowed.’ But she was extra pushy and persuasive towards the men and we went on a chariot ride around the hippodrome! It was sweet and I’m not going to lie, quite terrifying!

The trip was really fun but I was really excited to get back to the Jerusalem Center. On our way in one of the security guards said, 'Welcome Home.' I couldn't help but smile when he said this. This building that was so foreign to me 3 months a go has become my home. These strangers have become my friends. I have less than two weeks left and I have very mixed feelings. I'm ready to come home and see family and friends, but I'm going to miss my practically perfect life here.

4 comments:

  1. Those places look beautiful! And I like that you're taking your own advice and wearing sunglasses in the picture you otherwise would be squinting in:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we are definitely not having mixed feelings about you coming home...we can't wait to have you back!!!! But I do love seeing your updates and I hope you have a fabulous last little bit of time there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok the chariot race sounds awesome! Have I mentioned yet I'm excited to see more pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad they didn't fall out of their chariots!! that would have been even more of a show huh?! Seriously those pictures are awesome. I love that carving in the mount.....Gosh....Amazing! You are coming home in like a day...or maybe two or three, but it is soon!!! Holy smokes.

    ReplyDelete