Thursday, June 17, 2010

Classroom Etiquette by Becky Dayton

So you want to raise your hand?
• Wait until the teacher at least finishes his sentence. Likelihood is he’ll answer your question.
• If the teacher makes eye contact with you while your hand is raised and they keep talking then there’s no need to keep holding your hand up. The teacher saw it and obviously doesn’t want to answer your question. Just put your hand down. Maybe they’ll come back to you.
• Have you been paying attention in class? No? Then don’t raise your hand and have the teacher repeat something because you weren’t listening.
• Don’t ask questions/make statements just to make yourself look smart. (While I was reading The Odyssey I found…)
• Limit your questions. Everyone has questions and comments (most of us just don’t say them) so don’t take all the space.
• There’s no need to hold your hand straight up, a 90 degree angle will suffice.
• Ask yourself, “Does the whole class need to hear this question, or could it wait until after class?”
• Don’t, under any circumstance, raise your hand when there’s >1 min. left of class. Some of us have countdowns going on and you’re totally messing them up! This is especially uncalled for when there is a meal right after class.

So you want to sit behind me? Great just don’t:
• Scratch my back
• Play with my hair (I love this, just not in class)
• Jiggle my chair
• Stick your foot up on my chair. It’s just gross, Okay? Especially if you have bare feet.
• Answer questions the students ask the teachers. I’m pretty sure the teacher knows more than you do so just let them answer okay?
• Whisper constantly.
• Shush other people. You know the, “SHHHH!!!” The shushers always get to me…

So you are teaching the class. Here are a few pointers for you:
• Never snap at the students, it makes us want to hurt you.
• Don’t stop your lecture every time a student talks and say, “Listen to me. This is very important. I want you to do well on your final.” I’m sorry, but students are going to talk every once in a while, and if you stop every time one of them talks when there are 80+ students, well that’s just a waste of time.
• Don’t give us reading in size 8 font. This also makes us want to hurt you.
• Keep up with the breaks half way through they class. They make me happy.
• Don’t schedule midterms so they last for more than two weeks! Coordinate with other teachers. Okay?
• We do love those take home quizzes. Keep them coming.
• Don’t assign a 15 page (mostly single spaced paper) midterm for a two credit class. That’s just not nice.

So you are trying to stay awake. Here are a few suggestions:
• Write a poem
• Doodle
• MASH (classic)
• Actually take notes on what the teacher is saying…
The basic idea is to stay awake while at least paying ½ attention. Do things that will allow you to still take notes and listen. Don’t do things that will distract others. If you’re not going to pay attention at least keep it to yourself.

Most importantly never, ever blog during class. That’s just totally inappropriate. Seriously though don’t think I’m a bad student after reading this. I almost always pay attention in class. Not many people get the opportunity to take these classes and I know I’m very lucky. I’ll start trying harder. Tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with all of those, except that I really liked it when a student would answer the question that had just been asked. J/K I pretty much strongly agree with every single one of those and admire teachers so much for their patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...I'm reading your blog in IBC...while trying to stay awake. I'm probably distracting my entire company behind me. Haha, I love this blog, it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. You pretty much summed it up. Good thing you guys don't have working cell phones over there, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly enough your post made me miss school. There were always fun characters to watch and fun things to learn and yes, pet peeves. I particularly agree with not keeping your hand raised after the teacher has made eye contact with you.
    One time in 5th grade I started snapping my fingers cuz I was bored and tired of raising my hand in a busy classroom and the teacher said "Don't you snap your fingers at me, young lady!" It scared me.
    Try to enjoy classes while you can cuz chances are you'll miss it later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the shushers. I could live without them. And the people that made comments that I just KNEW were going to make class last longer. They deserved a rooster slap. And gosh---blogging in class? The nerve!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHHAHAHA
    Thank you for expressing what we were all thinking after 7 HOURS OF CLASS IN ONE DAY

    ReplyDelete